The cause of malfunctions in the messenger can be:
- Discord conflict with programs on the computer;
- an obstacle from the side of residual Discord files that were not deleted during the last uninstallation of the messenger;
- the computer software does not meet the technical specifications of Discord;
- the action of computer viruses.
It should be noted right away that if there is no effect from the use of one of them, try to perform the other. Some of them should work.
Method # 1 – Upgrading the Discord Client
Method # 2 – Complete reinstallation of Discord
Method # 3 – Troubleshooting
- To get started, open the Task Manager and close all open processes of the Discord program;
- then press on the Windows keyboard + R ;
- enter the command % AppData% in the line and press Enter;
- return from the “Roaming” folder to the “AppData” folder;
- open the “Local” folder and navigate from it to the “Discord” folder;
- double click on the executable file Update.exe ;
- close open folders and start Discord as usual.
Method # 2 Complete reinstallation of Discord
Didn’t the first method help? Well, it doesn’t help many people either, but it was worth a try. However, what really helps a lot is the complete reinstallation of the Discord program. To perform a complete reinstallation, you will need to do the following:
- Reopen the Task Manager and close all open processes of the Discord program;
- go to the “Control Panel” and go to the system element called “Programs and Features”;
- find the Discord software in the lists and uninstall it;
- then open the “AppData” folder as shown in the previous method;
- open the “Local” folder and completely delete the “Discord” folder;
- now go back to “AppData” and go to the “Roaming” folder;
- find the “discord” folder in it and delete it;
- re-install Discord.
After the completed algorithm of actions, most likely you will be able to communicate with your friends in Discord again.
The step is to eliminate the harmful effects of viruses. Before starting the scan in the antivirus program, close Discord, and also through the “Task Manager” disable all processes associated with it. Now run a virus scan. If malware is found, remove it using an antivirus application.
Before entering Discord, install the messenger launch as administrator. To do this, follow 5 steps:
- Find the Discord shortcut on your desktop and right-click on it.
- In the context menu, select the “Properties” item.
- In the “Shortcut” tab, click on the “Advanced” button.
- Check the box next to the phrase “Run as administrator”.
- Click “OK”.
You can also configure the launch of the messenger as an administrator in just 3 steps:
- Right click on the Discord shortcut.
- In the menu that appears, click on “Run as administrator”.
- Give permission to the request from the system.
After the done actions start Discord. If the login to the application was successful and further work is not interrupted by an error notification, then the problem was a virus infection. If, after manipulating the antivirus, Discord still does not work, then proceed to the next step.
ATTENTION! If the Windows operating system is lower than 7 (seven), then the messenger will require a software upgrade to work. The minimum system requirements may change over time.
The official Discord website in the “Troubleshooting” section recommends a method to help with various application failures. This method involves performing a number of actions, but its effectiveness has been confirmed by many users.
If you have tried all the tips listed in the article and the messenger still gives an error, then contact Discord’s technical support service for help. To do this, fill out an application for assistance. Use the link https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
When contacting the technical support service, provide as much detail as possible about the essence of the problem and the methods that you used to independently resolve the issue. You can also attach screenshots you have taken to visually demonstrate the problem.